Question for Jay

Posted Thursday, April 21st, 2011. Filed Under Financial Empowerment

Dear Jay, perhaps you can help me. I was born in Canada of Canadian parents but as an RN had the opportunity to work and live in the U.S.and for a few years in Saudi Arabia.I am 68 yrs. old and have been collecting CPP since age 60.I have moved many times due to several factors, one being that as a nurse I could easily find employment.The only documents I have to prove the years that I wasn’t living in Canada is my U.S.statement of earnings for the years that I worked and lived there. I have only had a Canadian passport since 1986 and every 5 years, the old ones are kept by the Passport office. I have had 2 green cards for the U.S.and presently live near my children in Texas.My question is why must I provide further proof of the years that I lived in Canada when they must have my statement of earnings there? If you could provide me with resources, I would be very grateful. I am alone and that extra money would be of immense help to me. Thank you.

Here is Jay’s response:

Dear Lorraine Williams,

Thank you for your email.
I apologize for the delay in responding as tax season is in full motion both here in Canada and the U.S.

I believe I understand your concern because I agree with you, it is strange for them to ask for further proof of income 8 years into CPP retirement.
I think you should have received a letter from CRA concerning the new requirements.
With your authorization, I could review it for you.

One thing that comes to mind is your tax returns could be audited and is therefore questioning your CPP retirement income.

This is an interesting case and we would be happy to assist you in any way we can.

Best regards,

Jay F. Llave
“Create and Protect Wealth”
Insurance and Financial Advisor
Creative Planning Financial Group
(416) 487-5210 ext. 5317

Tags: ,


Share Your Thoughts


Leave a Reply